29° Good Morning
29° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Cops: Still no sign of missing hospital executive

George Richardson of Dix Hills, member of the

George Richardson of Dix Hills, member of the Huntington Township Chamber of Commerce. Credit: Handout

Investigators continued their search Friday for a hospital executive who went missing in Montauk while on vacation this week with his wife and children.

Det. Sgt. Robert Gurney, a lead investigator in the case for the East Hampton Town Police Department, said the case was still being pursued actively but, as of Friday, there were no new developments.

The missing man, George Richardson, 50, of Dix Hills, director of fundraising for Huntington Hospital, was last seen by his family at the motel where they were vacationing at 1 a.m. Tuesday and his family believes he may have gone for a routine walk at dawn the same day, the detective said.

Gurney declined to comment on whether Richardson took keys, a wallet, money or credit cards with him when he left Hartman's Briney Breezes Motel at 693 Old Montauk Hwy., where the family was staying. He also declined to say whether there was any kind of family disagreement or other unusual event preceding Richardson's departure, except to say "there's no known reason" for his disappearance.

"He's been coming to Montauk for years and it's his routine to go for a walk every morning" at around 6 a.m. during his Montauk stays, so his family assumed he had done so Tuesday -- though no one actually saw him set out for a walk that day, Gurney said.

The Richardson family had been scheduled to end their vacation Tuesday, to check out of the motel and return home to Dix Hills, and Richardson was expected to return to work Wednesday but did not show up, police and hospital officials have said.

Hospital spokeswoman Julie Robinson-Tingue, who could not be reached for comment Friday morning, has said his colleagues are worried about him and hope for his safe return.

Gurney earlier this week said the department is fielding numerous tips and witness reports that "send us in different directions" and has checked them out, to no avail.

East Hampton Police enlisted Suffolk County and U.S. Coast Guard resources and have made repeated beach patrols.

Gurney has declined to comment on whether evidence or witness reports suggested that Richardson was a victim of foul play, an injury or a swimming accident, saying, "We're keeping an open mind on this one. . . . There is no known reason for his disappearance."

Richardson's family has declined to comment.

Richardson has held top fundraising and alumni-relations positions at the Diocese of Rockville Centre's Mercy Medical Center, at Hofstra University and at St. John's University School of Law before joining Huntington Hospital in January. In July, he was appointed to the board of the Huntington Chamber of Commerce.

Police said Richardson has a small scar on his chin. He is 5 feet, 6 inches tall, about 150 pounds, and was last seen wearing an orange cap and running shoes.

Anyone with information can call the East Hampton Town Police Detective Division at 631-537-7575.

Latest Long Island News