Shellfishing can resume at sunrise on Friday in some western areas of Shinnecock Bay that were shut on May 7 after a naturally occurring biotoxin was found, state officials said Thursday.
Since late March, more than 85 shellfish samples have been tested for the biotoxin, saxitoxin, which causes paralytic poisoning, the state Department of Environmental Conservation said in a statement. About 20 of these samples came from Shinnecock Bay.
The harvesting of clams, mussels and oysters still will be barred in about 315 acres in a cove outside the mouth of Weesuck Creek, the department said.
Similarly, conch, whelk and other members of the carnivorous gastropod family cannot be harvested in the section of Shinnecock Bay that lies west of the southbound lanes of the Ponquogue Bridge and east of the Post Lane Bridge in Quogue, the agency said.
For more information on temporary emergency shellfish closures and maps of the affected areas, visit the DEC website, www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7765.html. A recorded message may be heard by calling 631-444-0480.
Exclusive subscription offer
Newsday covers the stories that matter most to Long Islanders. We dig deep to uncover the facts, hold the powerful in check and keep a watchful eye on Long Island.
Your digital subscription, starting at $1, supports local journalism vital to the community.SUBSCRIBE NOW