Clear 32° Good Evening
Clear 32° Good Evening
Long IslandSuffolk

Family rescued after being overcome by fumes in car

Suffolk County police and East Farmingdale firefighters respond to a report of two unconscious children and their mother on Parkway Avenue in North Amityville. Police believe the victims were overcome by exhaust fumes from their car. Videojournalist: Jessica Rotkiewicz (July 25, 2013)

A mother and her two young children were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in the family car as her husband was driving them in North Amityville Thursday, Suffolk police said.

The husband pulled over in front of 48 Parkway Ave., where, later, the East Farmingdale Fire Department gave oxygen to the victims and a Good Samaritan helped by breathing into one child's mouth.

It was shortly before 4 p.m. when the husband noticed his wife in the front and two boys in the back, ages 22 months and 8 months, were losing consciousness, police said.

Tasia Allen said she and co-workers at Tia's Daycare, across the street from where the family stopped, rushed out to help, as did a nurse who was arriving to pick up her grandchild and gave the 8-month-old CPR.

"I knew something was wrong," said Allen, 23, a day care assistant. The father "dropped down to his knees and got back up. You could see the panic on his face."

Allen said she saw the father holding the younger boy and the mother, who had revived, with the older boy in her arms. Both children were unconscious, the day care worker said.

The father handed her his cellphone to talk to 911 because he was not able to speak clearly, she said.

Allen said she and her colleagues took the boys inside, where the nurse gave mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to the baby and a co-worker helped the other child.

"I was worried, but at the same time, they had a pulse," Allen said.

She said day care workers are trained in CPR and know what to do for children in emergencies. She said the family was lucky that they stopped across from the day care center because most of the residents in the area were at work in the afternoon.

"We knew what to do," Allen said. "Thank God they stopped at the right place."

The entire family was taken to a hospital to be checked out, but everyone was alert, said police, who did not release their names.

The car, a 1999 Mitsubishi, appeared to have an exhaust problem and tested high for carbon monoxide, police said. It was impounded for a safety check, police said.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.