TODAY'S PAPER
34° Good Morning
34° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Official: Farmingdale dorm evacuated due to quickly contained stove fire

A stove in a fourth-floor student kitchen caught fire Monday morning.

SUNY Farmingdale College on Monday after a morning

SUNY Farmingdale College on Monday after a morning stove fire in one of the dorms at Orchard Hall prompted an evacuation. Photo Credit: Johnny Milano

About 350 students were evacuated from a dormitory Monday morning because of a stove fire that was quickly contained, a Farmingdale State College official said.

The fire was in a fourth-floor student kitchen of Orchard Hall, the school’s largest residential dormitory, said Kathy Coley, a spokeswoman for the college.

The dorm evacuation at around 9:30 a.m. was called out of "an abundance of caution," she said.

“At that point in the day most students were in class,” she said.

By 11 a.m., the dormitory was reopened, with no injuries reported.

Responding were the East Farmingdale Volunteer Fire Company, Melville Volunteer Fire Department and the Farmingdale Hook, Ladder & Hose Company No. 1.

“It was a bump in the day,” said Coley, who also said she was glad it wasn’t snowing.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News