TODAY'S PAPER
Broken Clouds 43° Good Morning
Broken Clouds 43° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Fire destroys home, kills dog in Aquebogue

A man and woman were able to escape a fire that destroyed their home in Aquebogue early Monday, but police said the family dog died in the blaze.

The fire at the home on Trout Brook Lane was reported at about 4 a.m., Riverhead Town police said. Police said arriving firefighters found the front porch "fully engulfed."

The Riverhead Fire Department put out the fire, but not before it destroyed the home completely, police said. The two residents, whose names were not released, were taken by Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns.

Their conditions were not immediately known Tuesday.

Police said the dog was found inside the home.

An investigation determined the blaze was sparked by a candle, police said, and it was ruled accidental.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE