TODAY'S PAPER
Few Clouds 41° Good Afternoon
Few Clouds 41° Good Afternoon
Long IslandSuffolk

Fire accidentally starts on deck, guts Bay Shore house, officials say

A number of departments assist Bay Shore firefighters

A number of departments assist Bay Shore firefighters in battling a blaze at a house on Potter Boulevard Friday, Jan. 22, 2016. Police said the fire was started by someone working on the deck. Photo Credit: Paul Mazza

A fire that police said accidentally started outside wound up gutting a Bay Shore home.

No residents were injured in the fire in the 1300 block of Potter Boulevard reported at 11:25 a.m., Suffolk County police said.

Fire officials said volunteers from Bay Shore, West Islip, Islip and North Babylon responded.

A police spokeswoman said someone working on a deck outside the home accidentally started the fire, which ignited the home. The residents were outside at the time.

Further details were not immediately available.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE