TODAY'S PAPER
66° Good Morning
66° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Four Rocky Point schools evacuated after bomb threat

All four schools in the Rocky Point school district were evacuated for about 45 minutes Wednesday after "an anonymous bomb threat was made by telephone against the district," the superintendent said in a statement.

The students were evacuated at about 1:15 p.m. after the call to the high school main office, Superintendent Carla D'Ambrosio said.

"All of our school buildings were immediately evacuated and the Suffolk County Police were notified," D'Ambrosio said. "Within approximately 45 minutes, the police swept all of our school buildings and found no credible evidence for the threat."

High school students were dismissed "from their evacuated position on the football field," the statement said.

All other students were dismissed close to their regular time. After-school activities were canceled for the high school and middle school.

"While these matters have become all-too-commonplace in our society, it is of the utmost importance that we take these threats seriously, as the health and safety of our students and staff is our first priority," D'Ambrosio said.

Suffolk police confirmed earlier in the afternoon that an investigation of a bomb threat was taking place in at least one of the Rocky Point schools.

Latest Long Island News