36° Good Evening
36° Good Evening
Long IslandSuffolk

Shoreham girl, 4, hit by Suffolk County Transit bus, cops say

Hospital officials said a girl, 4, remained critical

Hospital officials said a girl, 4, remained critical on Tuesday night, Nov. 28, 2017, and her mother's condition was fair after they were hit by a Suffolk County Transit bus on Monday night, Nov. 27, 2017. Credit: Stringer News Service

A 4-year-old Shoreham girl remained in critical condition Tuesday, a day after she and her mother were struck by a Suffolk County Transit bus in Middle Island, hospital officials said.

Police said that just before 7 p.m. Monday, the girl, Willow Lee, was walking west across a parking lot entrance on the north side of Route 25 with her mother, Heather Lee, 27, when they were struck by the bus.

Willow suffered head trauma and her mother suffered “nonlife-threatening injuries,” according to police.

Both were taken by Middle Island Rescue to Stony Brook University Hospital, officials said.

Late Monday, police said Willow’s condition was serious, but on Tuesday morning hospital spokeswoman Lauren Sheprow said Willow’s condition had been changed to critical, where it remained late Tuesday. Sheprow said Heather Lee’s condition was fair, but she declined to provide details on either the daughter’s or the mother’s injuries.

The bus driver, Thomas Lowitt, 63, of Islip, was not injured, police said.

Police said the bus was traveling east on Route 25 when Lowitt made a left turn into a parking lot on Middle Country Road and struck the victims.

“Passenger and pedestrian safety is of utmost priority to us at Suffolk County Transit,” bus service officials said in a statement. “In light of this incident, we are cooperating fully with the Suffolk County Police Department and the Public Transportation Safety Board, who are conducting a thorough investigation.”

Highway Patrol Motor Carrier Safety Section officers responded and conducted a safety check on the bus.

Police said no charges had been filed against the bus driver and the investigation is continuing.

With Mark Morales

Latest Long Island News