A Melville homeowner and a firefighter were injured Friday night in a fire at a two-story, wood frame house in the hamlet.

Melville Fire Chief Jason Bernfeld said the 6 p.m. blaze on Catherwood Crescent was started by an electrical appliance in the basement. He said he did not know what kind of appliance.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Bernfeld said the blaze spread to the second floor, causing heavy fire damage to that floor and the first floor, and smoke damage to the second floor.

He said it took firefighters about two and a half hours to bring the blaze under control, Bernfeld said. “There were a lot of contents in the house — it wasn’t a hoarder situation, just a lot of belongings.”

Bernfeld said the homeowner, who was not identified and who the chief described only as male, was taken to Huntington Hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation. The Melville firefighter was taken to Plainview Hospital for treatment of heat exhaustion.

Both the homeowner and the firefighter were released from the hospitals, Bernfeld said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Bernfeld said in addition to the Melville Fire Department, responding departments included East Farmingdale, Huntington Manor, Dix Hills and Plainview.