TODAY'S PAPER
Clear 33° Good Morning
Clear 33° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Homeowner injured in Smithtown house fire, officials say

Firefighters battle a house fire on Sunrise Lane

Firefighters battle a house fire on Sunrise Lane in Smithtown on Wednesday, May 3, 2017. The homeowner was injured in the fire, which may have been caused by an exploding propane tank, fire officials said. Photo Credit: Joseph C. Sperber

The owner of a Smithtown home suffered burns Wednesday night in a fire at the house that may have been caused by an exploding propane tank, officials said.

Suffolk County police said the woman, 51, was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment of “non-life-threatening” burns. Her name was not released Thursday.

Firefighters responded to the Sunrise Lane home at about 8:20 p.m. after a number of neighbors reported hearing two explosions come from the two-story house.

Kevin Pearsall of Engine Company 3, who lives a few doors down from the home, was the first on the scene, the Smithtown department said. He entered the home before the fire spread and escorted the homeowner outside.

“An explosion from the rear of the dwelling, possibly from a propane tank, started the fire which rapidly spread through the entire interior of the home,” the fire department said in a statement.

The fire caused “severe damage” to the home and was brought under control at 9:21 p.m., officials said. The location of the propane tank wasn’t disclosed.

The fire was being investigated by the Smithtown and Suffolk County fire marshals, and Suffolk police arson squad.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE