Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after an unattended candle turned into a blaze that engulfed a two-story house in Huntington Sunday afternoon, a fire official said.

Five people were in the house on Cove Road when the fire in a first-floor bedroom got out of control, said Halesite Fire Department chief Greg Colonna.

“They tried to use fire extinguishers and it was too far advanced for them to put it out,” Colonna said.

Colonna said it was a “fairly typical fire that got away from the homeowner.”

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The fire gutted half the house and caused smoke damage to much of the rest, he said. He said the two who suffered smoke inhalation were treated at Huntington Hospital and their injuries did not appear life threatening.

About 50 firefighters and seven fire trucks and ambulances from four departments responded to a 911 call from the homeowner at 2:52 p.m., Colonna said. The fire was under control after 20 minutes, he said.