A stray balloon touched a primary electrical wire and caused a power outage for more than 1,300 businesses and homes during Independence Day festivities in Southampton Village Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

But the lights were back on for all 1,322 customers in less than 90 minutes, said Elizabeth Flagler, a spokeswoman for PSEG Long Island.

She said a Mylar balloon touched a primary wire on Hill Street at about noon, as the village celebrated the Fourth of July.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

“Mylar balloons have a metallic coating that conducts electricity and it can cause a short circuit,” Flagler said.

She added that power was restored in phases: The first nearly 696 customers were back online in 36 minutes, the second 430 customers in 47 minutes and the remaining 196 customers in 86 minutes.