The ringing phone woke Margaret Callaghan about 4 a.m. Wednesday. When told her Huntington hair salon was on fire, for some reason, she just didn't expect the worst.

"I figured minor damage," Callaghan, 60, said.

Fifteen minutes later, as she drove up to the building at 330 Main St., she was "in shock." The Lemon Tree hair salon she has owned for 30 years was gutted, ravaged by the fire.

No injuries were reported at the two-story commercial building that houses the hair salon, the Osaka Sushi restaurant and second-floor office space, Huntington Fire Department Chief Robert Berry said.

The interior was "heavily damaged," he said, most significantly the second floor.

A passerby reported flames at the building in an emergency call at 3:08 a.m., he said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"Nobody was hurt, thank God," Callaghan, of Huntington, said after the fire had been extinguished and as investigators prepared to pore over the water-soaked, charred remains of her salon to determine a cause.

Berry said early indications are that the fire could have started in the restaurant's kitchen.

To gain access to the attic firefighters went through the hair salon's ceiling, Berry said. Overall, 100 firefighters and 12 trucks from the Huntington, Huntington Manor, Halesite, Cold Spring Harbor, Greenlawn, Melville and Centerport departments needed about 90 minutes to bring the fire under control, he said.

Firefighters remained at the scene "mopping up" until about 7:15 a.m., Berry said.

Berry said Callaghan was visibly upset when she first arrived at the scene.

"It's understandable," he said. "That's natural when you see your building, your business damaged like that."

Callaghan said she had spent nearly $30,000 over the last six months, remodeling the interior of her salon.

"When I first saw the building, all the damage and all the fire equipment, I said, 'Oh, my God.'"

She has no idea what happens next with her business. "My ceiling is just hanging there." All the new equipment, the fresh paint, the updated decor, are in ruin, she said.

An hour after first seeing her destroyed salon, Callaghan remained numb.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"I'm still in shock, you know," she said. "But nobody was hurt."