A distasteful email from a Manhattan sweets vendor has upset a Commack bride-to-be.
Amanda De Pascale, 26, said she reached out to Sweetery NYC, a dessert food truck company, to inquire about them catering her March wedding. After receiving a quote from the company in October, De Pascale decided the food truck was out of her price range.
“I was disappointed, because we thought a food truck could have been a nice, different kind of thing for us to have at the wedding. But it just wasn’t in our budget,” she said.
De Pascale said she received several follow-up emails from company representatives, which she did not respond to, and multiple phone calls, which she says she could not take while at work.
Last Tuesday she received an “incredibly vulgar” message sent from what appeared to be the email account of Sweetery NYC owner Grant Di Mille, De Pascale said.
It reads: “We have zero idea what type of warped sick games you are playing with us, but now it is time for us to have a say.”
The author of the email complained De Pascale didn’t respond to the company’s efforts to follow up on the proposal that took “time and effort to produce.”
The email also includes multiple insults, calling the bride-to-be “despicable” and a “disgrace.”
A friend of De Pascale’s posted screenshots of the email on Facebook last week, where dozens of people commented on it.
When reached by phone Thursday, a Sweetery NYC employee declined to comment, and Di Mille could not be immediately reached for comment.
“I was honestly speechless when I read it,” De Pascale said. “I was just completely taken aback by how hurtful and offensive the tone of the email was.”
De Pascale said she received a message from Di Mille Tuesday apologizing for the email, which Di Mille told her was sent from his account by a Sweetery employee.
In the message, Di Mille tells De Pascale “what you have experienced from us is not who we are at our core,” and that the employee responsible no longer works at the company.
An “open apology” to De Pascale was posted to the company’s Facebook page Wednesday, but as of late Thursday afternoon, the post had been removed The post had also said the employee who wrote the message was fired.
“We just want all of you to know that we are truly, very sorry and we hope to be able to find a way to remedy our mistake to the person who we offended,” the Facebook post had read.
The bride-to-be said she’s currently in the process of looking for a new dessert vendor.
“I just hope that sharing my story will help other future brides or event planners down the line,” she said.