A major fire burned much of the second story of a sprawling Southampton Village house on Friday afternoon, the village’s volunteer fire department said.
“It burned from the back of house on the second floor to the front of the house on the second floor,” fire department spokesman Don King said.
“It was considerably damaged,” Don King said.
The house’s latest sales price was in 2014 at $11.25 million, records show.
Homeowner Janie Kupferman escaped with her dog Quincy. Husband Ron Kupferman declined to comment.
One Southampton firefighter was taken to Southampton Hospital, King said.
No other details were provided about the firefighter’s condition, though King noted fighting fires in the blazing heat of summer was particularly difficult.
“The excessive heat becomes an issue in these periods of high temperatures and humidity,” he said by email.
No other injuries were reported, King said.
Fire departments from six communities responded to the fire, which was reported at about 1:49 p.m., he said.
It was brought under control at 3:05 p.m., he said.
“There were probably over 175 volunteers on the scene” with about a dozen vehicles, King said.
Ambulances from both Southampton Town and the village assisted.
“It’s very hot, as you know, and the working time for firefighters is very limited in those conditions, so they are always rehabbing,” King explained.
Shortly before 5 p.m., King said firefighters were still making sure the fire was completely extinguished.
“We still have firefighters on the scene . . . checking out any hot spots, making sure any fires are out,” he said.
By 5:30 p.m. the site was turned over to the Southampton village Fire Marshall, King said, and all firefighters were released.