A Shirley woman who escaped police custody while at a Smithtown hospital stole an ambulance, leading officers on a miles-long pursuit before being rearrested -- after she crashed into another vehicle on the Sunken Meadow Parkway.

After her rearrest Thursday, Melina Silsbe, 24, was transported to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore where she treated for minor injuries and released into custody, Suffolk County police said. She was charged with second-degree escape, fourth-degree grand larceny, fourth-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving, second-degree reckless endangerment and unlawful fleeing from a police officer. Silsbe now faces arraignment Friday in First District Court in Central Islip.

Police said Silsbe had been arrested Wednesday for what was described as "numerous misdemeanor warrants and a felony warrant" and was being held at the Fourth Precinct in Smithtown when she was taken to St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center for "a medical condition."

Police did not immediately detail the charges in those outstanding warrants.

The medical condition that required hospitalization also was not detailed, but police said, Silsbe was "required" to have an officer guard her.

Nevertheless, at about 6 p.m., police said Silsbe slipped out of her restraints and fled the hospital, stealing an ambulette that was left both unoccupied and running outside the main entrance.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

She then led officers on a pursuit along Jericho Turnpike through Commack and onto the Sunken Meadow Parkway -- where she crashed into another vehicle. The driver of that car was not injured.

The incident marks the second time this month a prisoner has escaped from Suffolk police while in custody.

A female prisoner escaped from police custody at a Smithtown hospital Oct. 8, 2015, stole a hospital ambulance and crashed it a short while later, Suffolk County police said. Photo Credit: Stringer News Service

Last week, Alexander Thomas, 25, of East Fourth Street in Huntington, escaped from Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip. Police said he had been brought there complaining of chest pain after his arrest on gun charges.

Thomas was brought back to the hospital about an hour later after a ground and helicopter search. He faces additional charges of escape and assault after attempting to flee, police said.

With Candice Ruud