Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Maryland man charged in leaving girl, 2, in hot truck in Huntington

Suffolk County police escort Melvin Marroquin, 30, of

Suffolk County police escort Melvin Marroquin, 30, of Maryland, after his arrest on charges of endangering the welfare of a child and second-degree reckless endangerment on Thursday, July 3, 2014. He is to be arraigned Friday. Credit: Ed Betz

A Maryland man accused of leaving his 2-year-old daughter in a hot pickup while he shopped in Huntington was held on bail Friday and a temporary order of protection issued against him, online court records show.

Melvin Marroquin, 30, of Dundalk, was arraigned on charges of endangering the welfare of a child and second-degree reckless endangerment. Bail was set at $10,000 cash or $50,000 bond. It was not clear if he had an attorney or was represented by Legal Aid, which does not comment on cases.

His daughter was lethargic when she was rescued by two Suffolk County officers on Thursday. A passerby called 911 after hearing cries about 12:40 p.m. from a Nissan Frontier parked at the Big H Shopping Center on New York Avenue.

Through the truck's tinted windows, Second Precinct officers Derek Mangi and Aaron Klein saw the girl buckled in a child car seat in the rear. They said they saw tears on her face.

"She looked over at me," Mangi said Thursday. "Her hair was wet and stuck to her shoulder."

All the windows were shut in the locked pickup and the vehicle was not running when Mangi broke a window with his baton, police said. The temperature was an estimated 120 degrees inside the Nissan but in the 80s outside, police said.

"There was a very, very hot blast of heat that came . . . right into my face," Klein said. "When Officer Mangi grabs the little girl, she was beet red and there were drips of sweat just coming off her face. She looked to be in a lot of pain and agony."

Mangi rushed her to an air-conditioned shoe store nearby and got her water.

About 10 minutes later, Marroquin, who had been at the Marshalls department store, and two of the girl's grandparents returned, police said.

Mangi said the father was confused at seeing the police cars and told police he had left his daughter for 25 minutes and "forgot" about her.

The girl was treated for non-life-threatening heat exposure at Huntington Hospital and was to be released to her mother, who had been at a relative's house on Long Island. The grandparents, who had arrived in the Nissan also, were not charged Thursday because the father was in charge of his child, police said.

Latest Long Island News