A house fire in Huntington Station early Friday morning seriously injured at least two people, a woman and her daughter, officials and neighbors said.
Suffolk County police on the scene at about 1:15 Friday morning said there were three injuries -- a mother, and her son and daughter. The three were rushed to Huntington Hospital. Police could not characterize the cause of the blaze, but were investigating.
Several fire departments responded to the scene on Fourth Avenue.
Huntington Manor Fire Chief Fred Steenson Jr. said it appeared the fire began in the basement.
"Upon arrival, we had a heavy body of fire in the basement of the house with confirmation of two victims up on the second floor, which we retrieved out of the house."
He said the woman and her daughter, whose ages were not available, were treated with cardiopulmonary resuscitation and rushed to Huntington Hosptial.
The woman's son, 28, was standing outside the house when firefighters arrived so they knew the two victims were inside.
"There was a lot of clutter in the house," the chief said, so it was hard to get them out.
A neighbor who didn't want to be identified said the family of three living at the two-story house have been there for a long time. The neighbor said he heard police banging at the door and trying to find a way to get in. Then he saw smoke and the fire departments came.
The second story of the house also was affected -- windows appeared busted out and the drapes and window panes smoldered.
Two family members, including a girl who identified herself as a niece of the woman living at the house, arrived but declined to comment. They had no visible emotional reaction to the scene and were kept away from bystanders.
Huntington, Huntington Manor, Greenlawn, Syosset and Cold Spring Harbor fire departments assisted.