TODAY'S PAPER
Broken Clouds 57° Good Afternoon
Broken Clouds 57° Good Afternoon
Long IslandSuffolk

Officials: Patchogue firefighter hurt after carbon monoxide scare

Fire officials said a firefighter was injured while

Fire officials said a firefighter was injured while responding to an apartment complex carbon monoxide evacuation on Maple Avenue in Patchogue about 9 p.m. Monday, Feb. 27, 2017. Photo Credit: Stringer News Service

A furnace malfunction triggered carbon monoxide alarms at a Patchogue apartment complex Monday night, forcing the brief evacuation of the three-story buildings, authorities said.

Fire officials said firefighters responded to the scene on Maple Avenue after the alarms went off just before 9 p.m. The Red Cross also responded and were able to provide assistance to residents until Patchogue firefighters were able to determine a malfunctioning furnace as the source of the CO leak and resolve the issue, officials said.

Suffolk County fire officials said residents were allowed to return to their apartments in the complex at about 1:30 a.m.

One firefighter was transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in nearby East Patchogue, where he was treated for an undisclosed issue and released.

There were no reported injuries.

With John Valenti

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE