TODAY'S PAPER
Clear 28° Good Evening
Clear 28° Good Evening
Long IslandSuffolk

Police: Brentwood girl's burns caused by candle

An 8-year-old Brentwood girl is in serious condition after suffering burns to her face and arms from a backyard candle Friday night, police said.

Suffolk County police responded to a home on Madison Avenue just after 9 p.m.

The girl was flown via Suffolk County police helicopter to Stony Brook University Hospital.

Her burns were caused by a citronella candle in the backyard of the house. The injuries were ruled accidental, police said.

Police said the incident is being investigated.

A 14-year-old boy, Michael Hubbard, was critically burned after ethanol-based, citronella-scented fuel gel exploded from a wick-less ceramic burner in an accident in Riverhead on May 28, 2011. The accident led to the removal of those candles from stores nationwide.

It was unclear precisely what type of candle was involved in Friday's accident. A police spokesman had no additional details late Saturday.

With Kevin Deutsch

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE