TODAY'S PAPER
Scattered Clouds 39° Good Morning
Scattered Clouds 39° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

2 firefighters injured in fire at Tuckahoe house of worship, cops say

Two firefighters were injured Thursday morning, Jan. 21,

Two firefighters were injured Thursday morning, Jan. 21, 2016, while battling a blaze at a house of worship in Tuckahoe, police said. Photo Credit: Stringer News Service

Two firefighters were injured in a Thursday blaze at a Tuckahoe house of worship, where an electrical problem may have sparked the fire, Southampton Town police said.

One firefighter fell partway through the floor of the Padgett Temple on North Magee Street and the other slipped on ice, police said. Both were treated and released from Southampton Hospital, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 8:19 a.m., police said, and officers and firefighters from Southampton, North Sea, Sag Harbor and Hampton Bays rushed to the scene, along with officials from the town fire marshal’s office.

Investigators found a portable heater had been in use and said the fire’s cause was electrical in nature, police said.

Detectives said the investigation is still ongoing and ask anyone with information to call them at 631-702-2230.

With Ellen Yan

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE