57° Good Morning
57° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

State: John Esposito 'showed little remorse' about Katie Beers' case on day he died

John Esposito

John Esposito "showed little remorse" and "tried to rationalize" his abduction of Katie Beers at a parole board hearing Wednesday, according to the parole board decision released by the state Department of Corrections on September 9, 2013. (Apr. 24, 2012) Credit: NYS Department of Corrections

John Esposito "showed little remorse" and "tried to rationalize" his abduction of Katie Beers at a parole board hearing Wednesday -- the day he died of natural causes in his prison cell, according to the parole board decision released Monday.

Esposito, 64, did not know the results of the interview -- that parole was denied, state Department of Corrections officials said. Inmates usually receive written decisions several days after their parole interviews, said Linda Foglia, spokeswoman.

Asked if the decision had been made before or after word of Esposito's death, Foglia said she could offer no further information.

"You demonstrated a total disregard for the rules of society and welfare of another human being," the parole decision said.

Had he lived, the man convicted of abducting Beers in Bay Shore in 1992 would have had his next appearance before the parole board in September 2015, the decision said.

In his 1994 plea bargain, in which prosecutors said he sexually abused Beers repeatedly during 16 days of captivity, Esposito pleaded guilty to kidnapping but not rape in exchange for a sentence of 15 years to life.

"He was a very, very quiet man -- hardly spoke," said Bay Shore attorney Stephen Siben, whose firm represented Esposito. "I just hope he made peace with his God."

The parole board decision also said that, in light of a personal interview and Esposito's record, "it is the determination of this panel that, if released at this time, there is a reasonable probability that you would not live at liberty without violating the law" and that "your release is incompatible with the welfare and safety of the community."

The decision also indicated the panel gave consideration to "your risk and needs for success on parole," and made note of Esposito's "good disciplinary record and release plans."

Esposito's cause of death was stenosing coronary artery disease, which causes clogged arteries, the Westchester medical examiner's office said Friday.

The day after her abductor's death, Beers, 30, said she had steeled herself for years for either his release from prison or his death behind bars.

"I have no emotion, except I can close that chapter in my life," said Beers, now married with two young children and living in Pennsylvania.

Beers this year released a book, "Buried Memories."


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News