66° Good Morning
66° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Teen, 2 others, charged in fatal revenge stabbing

A female teenager who said she felt abused during a sexual encounter later took revenge with two others on a Huntington Station man, brutally stabbing him to death with a knife and broken beer bottles, Suffolk police said Friday.

After the stabbing, Marisela Bonilla-Cruz, 17, her brother, Luis Bonilla-Cruz, 19, and Juan Argurta-Gonzales, 24, fled from a Hempstead bus station to Maryland where they were arrested Thursday, police said.

Early last Saturday, police were called to a Brentwood street where they found Alexander Santos Argueta-Ventura, 24, dead in the street.

Officials said the trio, now awaiting extradition back to New York, knew Argueta-Ventura from a Huntington Station bar where he played pool. Argueta-Ventura, who moved to the United States three years ago from El Salvador, had seen Marisela on and off for about two months, police said. Several days before the alleged attack, she told her brother that Argueta-Ventura abused her during sex, police said.

After running into him at the bar on Feb. 26, police said, the three decided to avenge Marisela and lured Argueta-Ventura into a car with the promise of a party in Brentwood. After stopping for beer, Marisela Bonilla-Cruz directed Argurta-Gonzales to pull over outside a Gates Avenue home.

"They get out of the car like they're going to a party. As soon as they get out, he's attacked by Juan with a knife," said Det. Lt. Gerard Pelkofsky. Pelkofsky described a prolonged attack, with all three joining in with the knife and broken bottles.

Suffolk police said interviews led authorities to a block in Mount Rainier, Md., where the three were arrested.

The three were being held without bail Friday in Prince George's County. They will face extradition hearings Monday. Upon return to New York, they will be charged with second-degree murder, officials said.

The three were planning to leave the country, officials said, when they were arrested. Luis Bonilla-Cruz has served time in New York on a felony assault conviction and had been deported back to El Salvador, police said. It was unclear when he returned to the United States.

Police said the three had no known gang connections and no close ties to Brentwood. "This was a senseless murder that put a lot of fear into the community," said Suffolk police Commissioner Richard Dormer.

Argueta-Ventura moved to the United States three years ago and lived on East 12th Street in Huntington Station, said his brother, Carlos Argueta-Ventura.

Latest Long Island News