Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Three in Greenport street fight continue battle in hospital ER, say cops

Three East End men involved in a bloody Greenport street fight caught on surveillance tape early Sunday continued their brawl inside a hospital emergency room, police said.

Southold Town Police responded to the fracas at the emergency room of Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport about 12:31 a.m., police said.

The three men -- Hraklis Morris, 26, of Greenport; Walter Arevalo, 24, of Shelter Island; and Luis Mijangos, 33, of Southold -- were involved in a fight about 14 minutes earlier in a municipal parking lot in Greenport and had arrived on their own at the hospital seeking treatment for lacerations, police said.

Hospital staffers sustained minor injuries -- "aches and pains," police said -- from breaking up the emergency room battle.

No charges had been filed and no arrests made as of Sunday night, said Southold Det. Kenneth Richert. The weapon used in the street fight, believed to be a knife or other "cutting instrument," police said, has not been recovered.

The reason for the initial fight is unclear, Richert said. Police are reviewing surveillance tape from nearby businesses showing the dispute and said another person may have been involved. Morris and Arevalo were fighting each other and Mijangos is Arevalo's friend, said Richert, who said all three men are believed to have been frequenting bars in the area.

"No one seems to want to talk," said Richert, who described the men as a "little uncooperative."

Reached by telephone in his hospital room, Morris denied any involvement in the dispute and said his arm is "cut very bad" and that he could "quite possibly have to have surgery."

He added, "I wasn't fighting. I don't know nothing about no fight. I tripped and fell."

A nursing supervisor at Eastern Long Island Hospital said Morris was hospitalized and in stable condition Sunday. Police said Mijangos was treated and released.

Arevalo, who police said suffered more serious injuries, was transferred to Stony Brook University Hospital. A hospital spokeswoman could not provide Arevalo's condition.

Richert said Arevalo was in "pretty rough shape" and that he had lacerations on his head, back and chest.

Latest Long Island News