Twenty-nine people exposed to carbon monoxide Thursday were taken to hospitals from two Bay Shore plants owned by the same manufacturer, Suffolk County police said.
None of the carbon monoxide cases were life-threatening, police said.
The problem at Remy USA Industries, an auto parts maker, was caused by using space heaters without enough ventilation, police said.
Police got the first call about 2:15 p.m. for the Wisconsin Court plant shortly after fire and ambulance responders from Bay Shore and Brentwood departments raced to the scene. Authorities said 22 people went to three hospitals.
Then at about 3 p.m., authorities went to the company's manufacturing facility at Candlewood Road, where seven people went to hospitals, police said.
A year ago the company was acquired by Indiana-based Remy International Inc. and renamed Remy USA Industries. Last August the company notified state officials that it was going to close three months later and lay off its 271 workers.
A Remy USA Industries receptionist who answered the phone said the company had no comment. Officials at the Indiana headquarters did not return calls.