For the second day in a row, Ward Melville High School in East Setauket referred a perceived threat posted on social media to the police, officials said.
Suffolk police on Thursday said that while they were probing the matter, at least initially they had not found a threat to the school.
“Sixth Precinct Crime Section officers are investigating the circumstances surrounding a social media post made by a Ward Melville High School student that was perceived as a threat,” the police statement said. “Preliminary investigation determined there was no threat to the school.”
Police also found that to be the case with another student reported to them on Wednesday.
Thursday’s troubling social media post appeared one day after Long Island students joined their peers around the nation by walking out of classrooms to protest gun violence and honor the 17 students and educators slain last month in Parkland, Florida.
On Thursday morning, the Three Village Central School District superintendent informed parents and guardians that “the posting was in a similar nature to the one I communicated to you about yesterday.”
Three Village school officials did not discuss the content of the social media posting, nor identify the student, in both cases.
The student who was referred to police Thursday “is currently with law enforcement, as the incident is being investigated by the Suffolk County Police Department,” the district’s message said earlier Thursday.