59° Good Morning
59° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Woman, 95, pulled from burning home, dies

A 95-year-old woman pulled unconscious from her burning home in Southampton Village on Thursday afternoon later died at the hospital of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.

Ona R. Masters died after being taken to Southampton Hospital by Southampton Village Ambulance, village police said Friday.

Police said a Stop & Shop Peapod driver saw smoke coming from the home on Bellows Lane and called 911 about 5:30 p.m. to report the fire.

Southampton fire Chief Rodney Pierson said Thursday he was two blocks away and Capt. Steve Rogoski was even closer when the call came in.

Pierson said they rushed into the burning home, without gear, after they heard a resident calling for assistance.

"The elderly woman was trapped in her bedroom," Pierson said. "We made entry, stayed low and tried to get through it. We almost got to her, but the fire was too well-advanced."

The two men retreated and by that time, the firetrucks had arrived, the chief said.

Masters, who lived alone, ultimately was found unconscious in her bedroom by Lt. Matthew Shimkus and 2nd Assistant Chief Michael Kampf and taken to Southampton Hospital, police and fire officials said.

She later died at the hospital, police said Friday.

Shimkus and Rogoski were treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation and later released, Pierson said.

Southampton Town and village fire marshals are investigating, he said.

For the chief, the situation was frustrating.

"You can hear someone and you want to go in," said Pierson, a 21-year volunteer.

"We went as far as we could, but I didn't want to go to the point of no return. We went as far as we could handle with the smoke and heat, then came back out, unsuccessful."


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News