Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon
Long IslandSuffolk

Woman leaps to safety as fire damages her Commack home, officials say

The scene of a fire in Commack, where

The scene of a fire in Commack, where two firefighters caught a woman who jumped from a second-floor window to escape the blaze in her Suttonwood Drive home on Friday, Dec. 11, 2015. Credit: Commack Fire Department

A Commack woman jumped from a second-story window into the arms of three rescuers Friday morning after a fire damaged her Suttonwood Drive home, authorities said.

Elyssa Roth, 45, first dropped one of her dogs, named Marlo, from the window before she was coaxed to leap toward Fourth Precinct Officer David Mascarella, Second Assistant Chief Paul Carnevale and firefighter Bernie Simoes, Suffolk police said.

Roth was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation. Mascarella, also 45, was treated and released for the same thing from Saint Catherine of Siena Medical Center in Smithtown.

The policeman said he and the other two rescuers stood side by side as Roth dangled from the 15-foot-high window before releasing her hands. Together, the trio was able to catch her without her having to hit the ground, Mascarella said.

Firefighters, under the direction of First Assistant Chief Richard Meyers, then battled the blaze, bringing it under control in about 35 minutes.

During a search of the home, firefighter Kyle Page found a second dog, a black poodle named Bo, unresponsive on a bed inside the house, officials said.

Bo was fitted with an animal-specific oxygen mask and was transported to a local animal hospital by Simoes and Commack Fire Department District Manager Wally Doyna.

A spokeswoman for the Peace Love Pets shelter on Jericho Turnpike said veterinarians there worked on the dog and that it was doing well; Bo is expected to make a full recovery.

Mascarella credited the department for managing the scene.

“The Commack guys are really great,” he said. “They deserve a ton of credit.”

Simoes and Carnevale were treated at the scene for respiratory distress.

Authorities said arson section detectives have determined the cause of the fire was noncriminal.

Latest Long Island News