A fire erupted at a Family Dollar store in Shirley Monday morning after electrical sparks dropped from the ceiling and hit a clothes rack, officials said.
No one was hurt.
Seven fire departments, led by the Mastic Fire Department, and three ambulance units responded to the scene.
Fire officials said smoke billowed throughout the store and spread to neighboring businesses at The Green strip mall on William Floyd Parkway.
The fire started at about 7:45 a.m. and was under control in about an hour, said John Searing, deputy commissioner of Suffolk County Fire Rescue.
Heavy smoke spread inside a Family Dollar store at 441 William Floyd Parkway in Shirley after a fire broke out around 7:45 a.m. The fire damaged several adjoining stores. Seven fire departments and three ambulance units responded to the scene. No one was injured. (April 26, 2010) Photo credit: James Carbone