Nassau County’s Department of Assessment will present a taxpayer assistance outreach program in several communities in the Town of Hempstead.
Equipped with computers linked to the county’s database, department staff will process property tax exemption applications on-site for senior citizens, people on disability, veterans, volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
The staff will also review home improvement exemptions, the basic School Tax Relief (STAR) program — for residents who own a home, condominium or cooperative apartment with an annual household income of less than $500,000 — and the Enhanced STAR, for residents aged 65 years or older with annual incomes of less than $79,050.
Taxpayers can pick up or drop off their applications. Exemption specialists will provide assistance and answer questions. The program will be offered from 1 to 3 p.m. on:
* Friday, Oct. 5, Wantagh Public Library, 3285 Park Ave.
* Thursday, Oct. 11, East Meadow Public Library, 1886 Front St.
* Wednesday, Oct. 17, Oceanside Library, 30 Davison Ave.
* Thursday, Oct. 18, Elmont Memorial Library, 700 Hempstead Tpke.
* Tuesday, Oct. 30, Island Park Public Library, 176 Long Beach Rd.
For more information, contact the Department of Assessment Exemptions Division at 516-571-1500.
Above: Hempstead Town Hall