Historic photos of Bellport
Scenes from around Bellport captured around the turn of the 20th century.
Part of the Bellport agricultural community were a number of farms and dairies. Shown here, in 1910, is the delivery wagon and team for Champlin's Dairy.
Salt marsh grass from the Great South Beach was harvested by local farmers. The salt marsh grass, also called salt hay, was transported by boat to the mainland in Bellport then stacked, dried and used throughout the winter to feed livestock.
Old Inlet Beach Club, located on Fire Island, which was used by local residents from the late 1800 until last year when superstorm Sandy caused a breach of the barrier island at Old Inlet.
Eeling on the Great South Bay was a long time activity for both commercial and recreational purposes. Shown here, in 1940, are two types of eel pot.
Post-Crowell House in 1960, located on Bellport Lane in Bellport, is the centerpiece of the Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society. The Federal-style house was built in 1833 by Hiram Post. The house, land and contents were donated to the society by Mrs. Florence Crowell.
In 1914, a group of Bellporters enjoyed Bellport Bay using a scooter, which became a novel winter pastime and sport on the Great South Bay. The first official races took place in 1903.
Madeleine Meyer's wedding dress, which she wore at her January 15, 1924 wedding, is now part of the Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society's collection.
A group of Bellport sailors pose down at the Bellport Dock in 1925.
Located at the foot of Bellport Lane, the Bellport Bay Yacht Club celebrated its 100 anniversary in 2006. The BBYC has been located here since 1921.
From the early 1800s through today, Bellport has been the summer haven. This post card dated in 1910, shows the Bellport Bay shoreline and its many hotels.
The Corner Market in 1950 is now the home of the Village Bistro.
Brown's store located on Main Street in Bellport was a family-run shop. Pictured here in December 1928 are Ellen and Gladys Brown and Mrs. Murdock.