Historic photos of Smithtown
Historic photos of the Smithtown area, which was first settled in the 1600s, provided by the Smithtown Historical Society.
The Franklin Arthur Farmhouse, ca. 1912, is owned by the Town of Smithtown but administered by the Smithtown Historical Society. The farmhouse still stands at its original location at 245 Middle Country Rd., across the street and east of the Smithtown United Methodist Church.
At this 1911 Long Island Auto Club meeting, members gather at the Riverside Garage on the south side of the Jericho Turnpike and St. Johnland Road intersection in Smithtown near where the statue of the bull stands today.
Smithtown Train Station, ca. 1910, was later moved to Lawrence Avenue and converted to a private residence in the 1920s and replaced by a more modern station on Redwood Lane.
Looking west on Main Street in Smithtown in the 1920s.
Peter Hunter Waters and his horses ca.1900 rest near the old Riverside Inn in Smithtown. which is now Paul T. Given County Park.
Smithtown's bull statue unveiling was on May 10, 1941. Mary Rumsey, daughter of its sculptor and wife of former New York Gov. W. Averell Harriman, presented the 14-foot-tall, five-ton bronze bull statue to the people of Smithtown.
The first Smithtown Fire Department in 1920 was on Bellemeade Avenue. Today, the main fire house is on Elm Avenue. There's an annex building and two other stations.
First Presbyterian Church, ca. 1910, sat at the then calm intersection of Main Street and North Country Road, and River Road in Smithtown. Today, the intersection is hightly congested with vehicle traffic.
This is what Smithtown Town Hall looked like in 1912, before the wings and buildings were added.
The Judge John Lawrence Smith Homestead, ca. 1900, still sits at 205 East Main St. in Smithtown, and is owned by the Smithtown Historical Society.