+-
Looking west on Main Street in Center Moriches (Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Looking west on Main Street in Center Moriches in the late 1800s.

Historic photos of the Moriches area

Take a look through historic photos of the Moriches area circa the 1800s.

A home on Union Avenue in Center Moriches
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

A home on Union Avenue in Center Moriches in the 1800s.

Townsend Valentine Ketcham, proprietor of the Ketcham Inn,
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Townsend Valentine Ketcham, proprietor of the Ketcham Inn, in 1903.

Ketcham's Hotel, later referred to as The Ketcham
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Ketcham's Hotel, later referred to as The Ketcham Inn, circa 1900.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
The schoolhouse, located on Railroad Avenue, was used
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The schoolhouse, located on Railroad Avenue, was used from 1870 to 1896 and later became the Episcopal Church.

The
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The "Senekes," a flat-bottom paddleboat, at the head of Senix Creek in 1890.

The
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The "Senekes," a flat-bottom paddleboat, at the head of Senix Creek in 1890.

People stand outside the Long Island Hotel on
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

People stand outside the Long Island Hotel on Main Street in Center Moriches in the 1890s.

Looking west on Main Street in Center Moriches
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Looking west on Main Street in Center Moriches in the late 1800s.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
The Center Moriches Methodist Church in 1909, after
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The Center Moriches Methodist Church in 1909, after an addition had been made to the structure, which was built in the 1880s.

The
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The "Senekes," a flat-bottom paddleboat, transported beachgoers from the shores of Center Moriches to Fire Island in the 1890s.

Ocean House, a boarding house from the mid-1800s,
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Ocean House, a boarding house from the mid-1800s, sits along Ocean Avenue in Center Moriches.

Center Moriches Beach in the late 1800s.
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Center Moriches Beach in the late 1800s.

Great South Beach on Fire Island, across the
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

Great South Beach on Fire Island, across the Great South Bay from Center Moriches, in the late 1800s.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
South Country Road at Kaler's Pond looking east.
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

South Country Road at Kaler's Pond looking east.

The Havens House, home to one of the
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The Havens House, home to one of the first families in the Moriches area, was originally on a more than 200-acre piece of land located south of Montauk Highway before it was moved in 1972, north of Montauk Highway.

The Center Moriches Railroad station was built in
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The Center Moriches Railroad station was built in 1881. The station still stands but no longer operates.

The Center Moriches Railroad station was built in
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The Center Moriches Railroad station was built in 1881. The station still stands but no longer operates.

A man paddles in the pond at the
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

A man paddles in the pond at the head of Terrell's River in Center Moriches circa 1793.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE
The Grist Mill at Kaler's Pond in Center
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The Grist Mill at Kaler's Pond in Center Moriches is one of a series of mills built in the Moriches area in the early to mid-1700s.

The William Floyd Estate is a 613-acre property
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The William Floyd Estate is a 613-acre property located in Mastic Beach that was once a colonial plantation. William Floyd, who signed the Declaration of Independence, once lived there.

The Ketcham's Inn, in Center Moriches, circa 1879.
(Credit: The Ketcham Inn Foundation)

The Ketcham's Inn, in Center Moriches, circa 1879. Part of the original building still stands, and has been added to and renovated throughout the years.

Get The 1600 newsletter, our inside look at the race to the White House.

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.