Clear 34° Good Afternoon
Clear 34° Good Afternoon
Long IslandTowns

Law: It may take until Thursday

Almost 60,000 LIPA customers were still without power

Almost 60,000 LIPA customers were still without power as of Monday afternoon. (March 15, 2010)

Today, there are 60,000 without power. Tomorrow, 95 percent should be able to once again turn the lights on. But that still leaves those 5 percent who will not be able to make the morning coffee, check Facebook and, oh, do simple things like turn the heat on.

Just as rain and wind knocked out power to another 15,000 homes today, LIPA chief Kevin Law said at a news briefing this afternoon that some customers won't get their power back on until Thursday.

More from today's Newsday story:

LIPA crews have 3,000 repair jobs outstanding, he said, and are focusing efforts on jobs that return the most people to power at once.

"We feel confident we'll get everybody up and running by the middle of the week," [Law] said.

Some ratepayers say LIPA was caught flat-footed by the storm and should have done more sooner.

Law urged patience even as he acknowledged receiving numerous angry calls himself.

Luckily for the powerless (so to speak), forecasters expect it to dry up, with temperatures above 50 degrees through Friday. On Thursday, it may reach up to 60.

The outage map from LIPA's Web site, above, shows that nearly 60,000 LIPA customers were without power as of Monday afternoon.

Latest Long Island News