Drivers can expect multiple nighttime closures of the Long Island Expressway east- and westbound from the Nassau/Queens line to Riverhead Mondays-Fridays in coming weeks, the state Department of Transportation warned Monday.
The closures, foreshadowed on electronic signs on the LIE, began eastbound from the Nassau/Queens border Monday night and will involve both the expressway main line, as well as high-occupancy vehicle lane, for road repainting.
Crews using slow-moving paint vehicles will progressively work their way eastward, weather permitting, the DOT said.
Once eastbound operations are completed through Medford, westbound operations will start and continue until completed through to the Nassau/Queens border. Nighttime operations will then be moved to eastern Long Island between Medford and Riverhead.
The work will occur each night, Monday through Friday, as follows:
* Nassau County/Queens Line to Jericho Turnpike (Exit 40) 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Jericho Turnpike (Exit 40) to Wading River Road (Exit 69) 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Wading River Road (Exit 69) to Middle Country Road (Exit 73) 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Middle Country Road (Exit 73) to Waverly Avenue (Exit 62) 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Waverly Avenue (Exit 62) to Jericho Turnpike (Exit 40) 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
* Jericho Turnpike (Exit 40) to Nassau County/Queens Line 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
In addition, there will be off-peak daytime slow-moving road improvement operations both east- and westbound on various LIE entrance and exit ramps along the entire length of the LIE between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., the department said.
For up-to-date traffic and travel information, drivers can call 511 or visit 511NY.org. Travel information is also available from the INFORM Transportation Management Center cameras at INFORMNY.com and on hand-held devices at INFORMNY.mobi.