Long IslandTowns

Melville photos

The Presbyterian Church of Sweet Hollow, first established

The Presbyterian Church of Sweet Hollow, first established in 1829, is located 95 Old Country Road in Melville. Its original parsonage at 152 Old Country Road was built in 1830 and put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. (July 25, 2011) Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Melville is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington. It is home to 18,985 residents.

The Melville Volunteer Fire Department was formed in
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

The Melville Volunteer Fire Department was formed in 1947 by a few local residents and has since grown to 110 members. The Melville Fire District answers about 2,400 calls every year. (July 25, 2011)

Temple Beth Torah on Bagatelle Road was built
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Temple Beth Torah on Bagatelle Road was built in 1974 and serves more than 100 families. (July 25, 2011)

Saint Anthony's High School, a private Catholic school,
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Saint Anthony's High School, a private Catholic school, opened in 1933. The school has a successful athletic program with dozens of sports teams. (July 25, 2011)

West Hollow Middle School was founded in 1970
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

West Hollow Middle School was founded in 1970 and has about 1,400 students. The school has about 20 clubs and activities and a wide variety of academic programs for its students. (July 25, 2011)

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, located on Old
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, located on Old Country Road, is a place of worship in Melville. (July 25, 2011)

West Hills County Park is tucked away in
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

West Hills County Park is tucked away in a wooded area with hiking trails and a picnic area. (July 25, 2011)

Crestwood County Day School opened its doors in
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Crestwood County Day School opened its doors in 1956 and spreads across 15 rural acres of land. The school offers more than a dozen camps and programs for children during the summer months. (July 25, 2011)

Crestwood County Day School opened its doors in
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Crestwood County Day School opened its doors in 1956 and spreads across 15 rural acres of land. The school offers more than a dozen camps and programs for children during the summer months. (July 25, 2011)

Half Hollow Hills Community Library serves the Melville
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Half Hollow Hills Community Library serves the Melville area and boasts thousands of books and DVDs for residents to check out. The library also has a collection of historic photographs of Melville. (July 25, 2011)

The Melville shopping center, located on Walt Whitman
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

The Melville shopping center, located on Walt Whitman Avenue, has a wide variety of stores including Dick's Sporting Goods and Kohl's. (July 25, 2011)

The Presbyterian Church of Sweet Hollow, first established
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

The Presbyterian Church of Sweet Hollow, first established in 1829, is located 95 Old Country Road in Melville. Its original parsonage at 152 Old Country Road was built in 1830 and put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. (July 25, 2011)

Fresh produce on display. (July 25, 2011)
Photo Credit: Alexi Knock

Fresh produce on display. (July 25, 2011)

Latest Long Island News

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy policy.

OK
Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE