Details of “Operation Rolling Thunder,” a multiagency law-enforcement task force that led to the arrest of 55 fugitives with sex offenses, parole violations and other charges, will be revealed Monday at a news conference, Suffolk County officials said.
Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy, Police Commissioner Richard Dormer and a representative from Sheriff Vincent DeMarco’s office will discuss the initiative that involved federal, state and local personnel, according to a release.
One arrest, the release said, was the capture of “a man who had been on the run for 20 years since a warrant was issued for his arrest on attempted rape and sex abuse charges.”
Operation Rolling Thunder netted “subjects with active warrants — including 33 felony charges — associated with sex offenses, parole violations and other charges. Ten gang members were among those arrested, according to police. The crux of the operation was conducted from May 18-May 21, and it concluded with the June 10 arrest of an individual for violating the terms of his probation including a charge of third-degree rape,” the release said.
Levy also praised the work of the U.S. Marshals Service, New York State Parole, Suffolk County Probation and New York State Police. The initiative used a $30,000 grant from the New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services
“This cohesive, concentrated effort exemplifies the outstanding work that law enforcement personnel contribute routinely to keep the streets of Suffolk safe,” Levy said in the release.
The news conference is 1 p.m. Monday at the H. Lee Dennison Building, Hauppauge.