The Oyster Bay Town Board adopted a Massapequa Creek Watershed Management and Corridor Restoration Plan at its Tuesday meeting.
The plan, for an almost 7-square-mile area that extends from the southern end of Bethpage State Park to South Oyster Bay, calls for:
* Increased coordination of watershed protection strategies with other municipalities and agencies.
* Improved collection of information.
* Development of public outreach and education programs.
* Construction of new and improved stormwater runoff control equipment.
* Remediation of such hazardous waste sites as the Liberty Finishing Plant in South Farmingdale.
* Habitat restoration.
The plan is funded by an $88,000 state grant to help implement the larger South Shore Estuary Reserve Comprehensive Management Plan. The town will seek grants to implement the recommendations.
The document was the subject of a hearing in June. It can be viewed at www.estuary.cog.ny.us.