TODAY'S PAPER
Broken Clouds 26° Good Evening
Broken Clouds 26° Good Evening
Long IslandTowns

Oyster Bay historic sites

Fifteen employees at Sagamore Hill National Historic Site

Fifteen employees at Sagamore Hill National Historic Site dug out porcelain berry and other invasive plants from the meadow of the historic cow pasture. (Dec. 3, 2011) Photo Credit: Carl Corry

The Town of Oyster Bay is home to dozens of sites on the National Register of Historic Places

This late Victorian, at 52 18th Avenue in
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This late Victorian, at 52 18th Avenue in Sea Cliff, was built in 1894. It was designed by Frederick H. Maidment, who served as village president from 1921-1925. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

Fifteen employees at Sagamore Hill National Historic Site
Photo Credit: Carl Corry

Fifteen employees at Sagamore Hill National Historic Site dug out porcelain berry and other invasive plants from the meadow of the historic cow pasture. (Dec. 3, 2011)

This Queen Anne Victorian, at 207 Carpenter Ave.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Anne Victorian, at 207 Carpenter Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1873 and owned by Charles and Theodore Edwards. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This house, called
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This house, called "The Monterey Hotel," at 362 Sea Cliff Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1875 and purchased by Eliza McCormack for $1 from the Sea Cliff Grove and Metropolitan Camp Ground Association. Now used as a private residence, the house is one of the few surviving late 19th century summer boarding houses. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This house, at 46 Dubois Ave., in Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This house, at 46 Dubois Ave., in Sea Cliff is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This Italianate-style house, at 285 Glen Ave. in
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Italianate-style house, at 285 Glen Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1885 for Hermann Butchtenkirch as a summer cottage and later became the home of Charles Bahman, a local barber. (July 19, 2012)

This late Victorian, at 8 17th Ave. in
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This late Victorian, at 8 17th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1894 for ship captain Charles Kitching and later used as a boarding house. It is now a single family residence. (July 19, 2012)

This Queen Anne Victorian, at 19 Locust Pl.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Anne Victorian, at 19 Locust Pl. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1893 for J.T. Pirie, of Carson Pirie Scott Department Stores in Chicago. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

137 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

137 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1877 as a summer home for Keziah Case. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

The house, at 115 Central Ave. in Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

The house, at 115 Central Ave. in Sea Cliff, is called "The Wood Shed." Built in 1890, tThe home was designed by Oliver Combs for John Wood, who used it as a boarding house until 1915. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This Queen Ann house at 92 Main Ave.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Ann house at 92 Main Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built by Charles Edwards in 1895. It was later owned by Coles Carpenter and then later by Lillian Pearsall. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church, at 253 Glen
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church, at 253 Glen St. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1892 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This late Victorian home at 199 Prospect Ave.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This late Victorian home at 199 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1890 for Anne and Eugene Rock. It later became a boarding house and is now on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

Hoe Cottage, at 332 Franklin Ave. in Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

Hoe Cottage, at 332 Franklin Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1888 for Robert Hoe, a printing press manufacturer and one of the founders of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The house was at one point by Brooklyn Hospital as a children's convalescent hospital. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

173 16th Ave. in Sea Cliff was built
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

173 16th Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1880 and represents the area's architectural character as it was growing as a popular summer resort community. It has a view of Hempstead Harbor. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

The Stoutenberg House, at 195 Prospect Ave. in
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

The Stoutenberg House, at 195 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1890 and originally owned by Long Island historian Edith Stoutenberg. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This Queen Ann home, at 176 Prospect Ave.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Ann home, at 176 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1886. The building stands out in part because of its three-story square tower. The exterior has remained largely unaltered, but the interior was converted to apartments in 1940. It was built as Sea Cliff was being transformed into a summer resort community. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This house, at 378 Glen Ave. in Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This house, at 378 Glen Ave. in Sea Cliff, was known as the "Swiss Cottage," and built in 1886 for Susannah North. The house is known for its sweeping gable roof and two-story porch that wraps around the house. The home is now owned by photographer Arthur Leipzig. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

"The Shelton's Villa," at 58 18th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1893 and at one time was a boarding house. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This Queen Anne-style house, located at 112 Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Anne-style house, located at 112 Sea Cliff Ave., was built in 1884 and used as the parsonage for the Methodist Church from 1885-1888. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

91 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

91 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1879 and owned by generations of the Wardell family. It was used for religious activities. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This house, at 65 20th Ave. in Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This house, at 65 20th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1863 for Eliza Lockwood as a carriage house. It was converted into a summer residence in 1900 and a full-time residence in 1946. (July 19, 2012)

This Queen Anne-style home, at 103 Roslyn Ave.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Anne-style home, at 103 Roslyn Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built by W.H. Smith in 1884, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It represents the architectural character of the community in the late 1800s as it was growing into a summer resort area. (July 19, 2012)

This house, at 19 Locust Place in Sea
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This house, at 19 Locust Place in Sea Cliff, was built in 1893 for D.W. Pardee, who was the Sea Cliff Village president in 1894. A fire destroyed some sections of the house in the 1970. There is still a functioning elevator, and the house is considered one of the largest single-family dwellings still standing in the village. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

This Queen Anne Victorian, at 18 17th Ave.
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

This Queen Anne Victorian, at 18 17th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1890 and designed by Combs and Pearsall for John Conner, Sea Cliff's first fire chief. The house has the only working out house in Sea Cliff and is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

240 Sea Cliff Ave. in Sea Cliff was
Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

240 Sea Cliff Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1888 as the second location of a Methodist Church parsonage. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

Photo Credit: Brittany Wait

"Foxy's Cottage," at 272 Glen Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1898 by Theodore Edwards. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE