Port Washington photos

In 1643, 18 English families from Stamford, Conn., purchased the land that become Port Washington from the Matinecock Indians for a mix of kettles, wampum, lead, gunpowder, cloth and clothing. The new owners called the land "Cow Neck" after the common pasture they all used and later changed the name to Cow Neck Village.

advertisement | advertise on newsday