Long Beach city officials will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the city’s new $44.2 million boardwalk Friday.
The 3 p.m. ceremony will “celebrate the grand reopening of the entire 2.2-mile” boardwalk, city officials said in a statement.
They termed the rebuilt boardwalk, which had been destroyed by superstorm Sandy, “substantially complete” on Oct. 15. The city began reopening sections of the boardwalk in July, and officials said this month that the final sections would be open by Nov. 12 at the latest.
City officials are working with the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency officials to determine how much of the project FEMA will fund. FEMA can reimburse up to 90 percent of Sandy-related rebuilding projects.
Federal grants are also available for projects that make rebuilt structures better able to withstand natural disasters.
The event, which is open to the public, is scheduled to take place at the end of Long Beach Boulevard.