The bridge leading to Sagamore Hill National Historic Site’s Cold Spring Harbor beach will be repaired starting Oct. 22, forcing the closing of the beach for six days.
Staff from Sagamore Hill will be joined by workers from Fire Island National Seashore to stabilize a 60-foot section of the 360-foot pedestrian Eel Creek Bridge. The span crosses wetlands and the creek to provide access to the historic beach area on the edge of the Oyster Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
Sagamore Hill was the home of former President Theodore Roosevelt.
There will be no access to the beach during the project, and at times the nature trail leading to the bridge will be closed.
The original bridge was constructed around 1905, 75 feet to the north of the present location. It fell into disrepair and had disappeared by 1962, when the National Park Service acquired the property.
The present bridge was built in the 1970s and has gotten repairs as needed through the years, especially after a 1992 winter nor’easter when high tides lifted the bridge off its supports and damaged some of the railings and decking. The bridge was repaired again in 1993 after another nor’easter. Some of its materials have also been replaced.
The park expects to completely replace the bridge sometime in the future using Army Corps of Engineers specifications.