Shelter Island is home to numerous sites on the National Register of Historic Places.
An undated photo of Camp Quinipet, a Methodist camp and retreat center first established in 1920. Buildings there date back to 1882.
The James Havens Homestead was built in 1743. Havens, a local settler, was a member of the state's Provincial Congress in 1776. The largely unaltered home represents the area's early settlement period. (1985)
Manhanset Chapel in Shelter Island is pictured here in an undated photo. Built in 1890 in the Village of Dering Harbor, the Gothic Revival church was moved to its present site in 1924. Also known as Mechanics' Hall, it now serves as the Shelter Island Historical Society Museum.
The Chequit Inn is part of the Shelter Island Heights Historic District, a planned residential resort community of about 105 acres that was first established as a Methodist camp in 1872. The district contains 141 buildings and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
The Smith-Taylor Cabin was built around 1900 on Taylor's Island in Shelter Island as a picnic retreat for Francis M. Smith, who bought the property, then known as Cedar Island, in 1899. It was later purchased by hotelier S. Gregory Taylor and passed on to the Town of Shelter Island in 1997 after the death of Taylor's nephew Stephen Stephano.
Union Chapel sits on a Shelter Island Heights hilltop in The Grove. Built in 1875, the chapel was part of an architect's original plans of the area and represents the community's late 19th-century history. (1981)