The Town of Huntington declared a snow emergency effective at 11 p.m., and announced that the opening of Town Hall tomorrow will be delayed until 10:30 a.m.
Anyone needing to contact the town for emergencies should call 631-351-3234.
Under a snow emergency, the supervisor has the power to close roads, appropriate necessary equipment from all sources and make necessary purchases without following the usual procedures. The declaration also makes available to the Highway Department Town equipment and personnel to assist Highway Department crews
Also in Huntington, there will be no recycling pickup of bottles and cans Wednesday. Instead, residents will have two pickups on their next regular refuse collection day -- one for garbage in the morning and one for recyclables in the afternoon.
Also, in anticipation of Wednesday’s snowstorm, several Long Island towns have already announced service cancellations.
The Town of Oyster Bay closings include:
* All town parks (including community rooms)
* Town of Oyster Bay Ice Skating Center (Bethpage)
* Marjorie R. Post and Syosset-Woodbury Community Park ice-skating rinks
* Town of Oyster Bay Preschool
* North Massapequa Community Center (including North Massapequa Senior Club)
* Syosset-Woodbury Community Center (including Syosset Senior Club)
* William P. Bennett Hicksville Community Center
* Hicksville Athletic Center
* Group Activities Program for the Handicapped
In the Town of Hempstead:
* Transportation to town senior centers has been canceled.
* The Board of Appeals public hearing has been rescheduled for Jan. 27; hearing times remain the same. No further notice will be given. For more information, call 516-812-3005.
* Norman J. Levy Park and Preserve in Merrick has been closed until further notice.
* The Town of Brookhaven’s Division of Waste Management has suspended residential recycling collection.
* The City of Glen Cove will have no heavy-metal or yard-waste pickup Wednesday. Call Public Works, at 516-676-4402, to reschedule heavy-metal pickup for next Wednesday.