TODAY'S PAPER
48° Good Afternoon
48° Good Afternoon
Long IslandTowns

Sound Beach sidewalks, crosswalks move forward

Sound Beach business owners and their customers could  have new crosswalks and sidewalks by fall as plans to redesign Sound Beach Boulevard and New York Avenue move forward.

Brookhaven town set the redesign in motion after residents complained about street problems,  and a town study confirmed the issues.

Brookhaven town spokesman Jack Krieger said residents and business owners complained to town officials about the speed of vehicles, the lack of continuous sidewalks and drainage problems. He said those complaints prompted a study of Sound Beach Boulevard and New York Avenue, between Adams Avenue and Huntington Road.

"I think we were pretty happy because the people from the traffic study … went out to all the businesses and spoke to the ones who would be affected by it and it all went into the mix,” said William Pellenz, president of the Sound Beach Civic Association.

The town has received a federal Local Safer Streets Traffic Calming Grant that would cover about 80 percent of the estimated $578,000 cost, Krieger said.  The town should put up the other 20 percent.

The project’s plans will soon be sent to the New York Transportation Department for approval. Construction could begin as early as May and is scheduled to be completed in September, officials said.

Changes would  include:

*The section of road from Adams Avenue to Groveland Park Boulevard will get a new sidewalk on the north side of the road and drainage improvements.

*The section from Groveland Park Boulevard to the Hartlin Inn will get new sidewalks on both sides of the road and drainage improvements; a raised median with decorative imprinted concrete; new crosswalk markings near the town park and memorial; new pedestrian crossing signs.

*The segment from the Hartlin Inn to Jimmy’s Pub will get a new sidewalk in front of Matt’s One Stop.

*The section from the Sound Beach Inn to Huntington Road will get new sidewalks, curbs with decorative imprinted concrete, repaving, drainage improvements and pavement markings.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News