The Great Neck peninsula makes up nine villages including Great Neck Estates, Great Neck Plaza, Saddle Rock, Kings Point, Kensington, Thomaston, Russell Gardens, Lake Success and Great Neck Village. It began in the 1700s when pilgrims landed in Saddle Rock, which they called "Mad Nan's Neck," to take the northern part of the peninsula away from the Mattinecock Native Americans.
In the early 1900s, Middle Neck Road in Great Neck thrived with storefronts and other services, much like it does today.
Middle Neck Road and Great Neck Station in Great Neck was once filled with private homes and hotels. Today, there are apartment buildings and storefronts.
The shopping district was bustling in the 1920s on Great Neck Road in what is now called Great Neck Plaza. (Handout)
The Great Neck Alert Fire Company formed in 1901 with about 20 volunteer members and a steam-powered engine pulled by horses.
The Great Neck Alert Fire Company formed in 1901 with 20 members and a two wheel hand drawn hose reel to put out fires in the community.
Walter P. Chrysler donated this fire truck to the Great Neck Alert Fire Company in 1927.
Workers repair the sidewalk on Grace Avenue in Great Neck in 1920.
Residents play a game of football at Grace Avenue Park in Great Neck in 1919.
This is an aerial view of Great Neck peninsula in 1929.