Numerous roads in Nassau County will be closed Sunday for the Long Island Marathon, police said.
Nassau County police, which determines all road closures, said road closures may begin earlier or last longer than the times posted.
County Executive Edward Mangano said Friday there will be increased security as well.
“While no specific threat exists, the Nassau County Police Department will be putting forth enhanced security measures for the safety of participants, spectators, and all members of our community,” Mangano said in a statement in which he encouraged residents to call 911 “if something or someone seems suspicious.”
Runners, families and friends can expect some improvements such as new “start-line parking areas” at Nassau Community College, police said. The new parking areas should ease morning congestion getting into Eisenhower Park, police said.
The following roads will be closed:
- Charles Lindbergh Boulevard 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. (from Merrick Avenue to Earle Ovington Boulevard, 5 a.m. to 10 a.m.)
- Merrick Avenue, 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. (north of Hempstead Turnpike)
- Old Country Road, 7:40 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Post Avenue to School Street)
- School Street, 7:40 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Old Country Road to Railroad Avenue)
- Salisbury Park Drive, 7:50 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Railroad Avenue, 7:50 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Post Avenue, 7:50 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (Railroad Avenue to Jericho Turnpike)
- Eastbound side of Jericho Turnpike, 7:50 a.m. to 11 a.m. (Post Avenue to Brush Hollow Road)
- Brush Hollow Road, 7:50 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (The road will remain open south of Wantagh Parkway.)
- Carman Avenue, 7:50 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Old Country Road to Nottingham Road)
- Wantagh Parkway, 7a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Northern State Parkway exits to Post Avenue and Wantagh Parkway will be closed.
- All exits and entrances to and from Wantagh Parkway will be closed.
- Meadowbrook Parkway exits and entrances to and from Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Nassau Coliseum, Nassau Community College) and Eisenhower Park exits will be closed from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Eisenhower Park’s Park Boulevard will not allow through traffic between 7:15 a.m. and 10 a.m. The Hempstead Turnpike entrance to the park will be open throughout the day for Golf and Carltun guests, with a turnaround at the golf course until 10 a.m.
For additional information, please call Nassau police at 516-573-7138.