Good Evening
Good Evening
Long Island

Where were you during the 2003 blackout?

The Northeast blackout on Aug. 14, 2003, left

The Northeast blackout on Aug. 14, 2003, left Manhattan in the dark for more than 24 hours. Credit: Newsday / Daniel Goodrich


On Aug. 14, 2003, a massive blackout overtook the Northeastern United States and parts of Canada.

The outage happened after a power generation unit in Ohio overloaded and automatically shut down, leaving about 8.2 million New York City residents without electricity (and air conditioning) for about 29 hours.

Where were you during the 2003 blackout?


We are no longer accepting submissions.

Myself and all the neighbors in Valley Stream made a block party that night

Patience Ross, Hicksville

Fastest run on Nicholl's Rd., end to end

Herb Hesse, Holbrook

Working at Buy Buy Baby in Garden City

Michelle Kane, Wantagh

Given the magnitude of the blackout, that was accomplished pretty quickly.

Fred Leich, Merrick

After 9/11 was relocated to 32 Ave. of America’s. Had to think, O Boy, here we go again.

Fred Orestuk, Orient Point

I was at work in Manhattan and stayed in my office for three nights.

Robert Selfridge, N. Massapequa

I was in Stop n Shop in Copaigue. Took me 20 minutes to get home since power was out.

Ken Martone , Baldwin

I was at work at JFK

Herb Fiero, East Hampton

I was fly-fishing the Connetquot River,

Scott H. O'Gara, Esq., West Islip,New York 11795

The 25 minute ride back home took almost 2 hour

John Cassidy, Oceanside

We could barely walk for the next day or so.

Louise Bruno, Setauket

I was working at AAA in Garden City as part of my summer job

Paul Floroff, Glen Head

I was on the ferry to Patchogue from Davis Park

Kathy Bodkin, Patchogue

I was sitting in an endodentists chair who after 2 hours

James Biggers, Amityville

We had a "romantic" candle lit dinner via BBQ.

Sharon Feller, Plainview

The boat wound up being the best place to be having a generator and air conditioning.

John Castaldo, Centerport

Playing Monopoly by candlelight with my then boyfriend, now hubby.

Allison Matos, Plainview

This is why we should always keep our cell phones charged.

Catherine Conroy, Sag Harbor

I was helping to inform and entertain Long Islanders through their car and battery operated radios on 106.1 BLI.

Shawn Novatt, Levittown

We stayed for 48 hours straight and printed the paper.

Tom Murray, Freeport

Technically I was still an employee and was required to report back to work.

joe contardi, floral park, NY

Going home was tricky, but drivers were polite and I used the back roads where there was no traffic .

Carole Greenberg , Locust Valley

I was stuck on Ellis Island!!!

Derek Madarasz, Smithtown

My son was in the dentist chair having his braces put on.

Sylvia Marcus , Bellmore

I was in labor at St. Charles Hospital, Port Jefferson!

Kimberly Piscatello, Northport

My son, my husband and I were floating around in the wave pool at Splish Splash waiting for the waves to start up again.

Edie Manchenko, Melville, NY

I worked 36 hours straight from my office in the Bronx to help get our system up and running again.

James Murray, Holtsville

I learned of the outage while touring in Finland.

Helen Citrano, Kings Park

My wife was up in Vermont with my kids and got stuck on a ski lift for a short time.

Steve Zaremba , East Moriches

Kuwait. Leading ordnance rollback operations for 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.

James Rooney, Centerport

Went to Disneyland

Robert Palermo, Farmingdale

Watching people trying to buy fans , because their air conditioning wasn’t working!

John Davonski, Westhampton Beach

To finally see the sky at night and all the stars we never see on LI.

Jim Cutler, Old Brookville

Living in Times Square

Peter Cohen , Manhattan

Having a baby!

Toni Labbate , Glen Head

I was at the Sky Athletic Club on Merrick Rd. in Rockville Centre walking about 3 MPH on a treadmill.

Philip Martone, Mineola

I waited several hours for my bus to suburban New Jersey. Fun!

Michael Kalish , Melville

What I remember most though, was that it was all very civilized.

Andrew Paul Binder, Geln Cove

It was the first time I met my future brother-in-law

Mike Abitabile, North Massapequa

I was at my husbands funeral.

Judith Tarantini, Islip Terrace

My family and had just fly out of NY.

Donna marulli, Dix hills

I was in Montauk conducting offshore fishing surveys.

Frank Lavoine, Wantagh

My children used the generator from our motor home to power portable lights...

Kenn Honig, Bellmore

We had our first beer together that night, and it's one of the fond memories of my Dad...

Josh Shnayer, Island Park

That night my family created Blackout Dinner. Nothing cooked.

Salvatore Lombardo, West Hempstead

It turned out to be an amazing adventure.

Joan Holzberg, Commack

Getting a haircut in the dark. No blowout that day!

Eileen Ortenzi , Bay Shore

At a friends house cooling off in the pool and grilling all the meat in the freezer!

Jen Novak, Valley Stream

I was the best night ever!

Kendall Lampkin, Point Lookout

I took my sheet & slept outside on a lounge chair in my backyard.

Debra Schneider, Valley Stream

Surreal, what a great impromptu atmosphere.


The stars shone brilliantly that night.

Scott Perricone, Bayport

I... got stuck in an elevator in our building.

Bob Kantor, BAY SHORE

We distributed water to people on the sidewalk.

Eileen Armstrong Larney, Malverne

Driving on the Jersey Tpke, returning from a vacation with family...

Robin Calcagno, Massapequa

Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.

Michael Sutch, Bay Shore

We had just purchased our first home...

Andrea Allen, Selden

I ended up paying 125 for a ride home...

Kathleen Maurin, Island Park, NY

We spent the day at the beach and the night on the boat...

Ed langone, Lindenhurst

Got home around 7am the next day.

Bart Cubbins , Locust Valley

At a class at Hofstra. Took me over two hours to get home.

Kate Zvokel, East Setauket

I was at Dowling College...

Lorin Stiner, Commack

Pizza from the closed store in Penn sent up pizza for the crowd.

Barry Wiederman, Plainview

I was golfing in Bethpage when my cell phone started ringing off the hook...

Robert Huge, Hicksville

I was at Chaminade High School for an end of summer barbecue with all the guys that I graduated with. We didn’t know that...

Nelson Santos , Mineola

Me and some friends were hanging out. We decided to drive to Rockville Centre and went to churchills.

Steven Delvecchio, Valley stream

Working in Toronto where the power was down for 3 days, while family back home on Long Island went to the beach.

Dan Calabrese, Rockville Centre

Before the Blackout everyone in the family made fun of Moms hand crank radio. Not anymore!

Kim Berg, Hicksville

I was 8 months pregnant at home with my 2 other children and my husband was called in to NYPD.

Susan Cosme, Franklin Square

At camp in upstate ny

John doe, Dix hills

I'm a cake decorator...Had a car accident on the way to work (no lights)Then I had to finish the next day's cakes by light...

Thomas Shipley, North Bellmore

Trapped underneath Rockefeller Center in a subway car.

jennifer c groh, North Babylon

My feet still hurt from walking that distance (about 6 miles) in my business shoes!

William Lucano, Garden City, NY

I was 9 months pregnant with my 1st child, melting in a swimming pool when the black out occurred.

Elizabeth Santagata, Holbrook

Worked 21 hours straight and got home as the sun was coming up.

Peter Sciotto, Holtsville

Went to work for the next 18 hours helping put 2 units back in service.


We had to use a portable stairway to get off the plane.

Anthony Graziano, Massapequa Park

It was very eerie, especially in a post 9-11 world.

Pamela Schneider , Northport

I thought that we had had some kind of terror attack.

Tommy John Schiavoni, Sag Harbor, NY

We barbecued what we could before it went bad.

Thomas Fioriglio, Levittown