TODAY'S PAPER
Scattered Clouds 42° Good Morning
Scattered Clouds 42° Good Morning

New Rochelle house fire leaves 3 homeless

An early-morning two-alarm fire damaged a 100-year-old home in New Rochelle on Monday and left three people homeless, officials said.

The fire burned through an attic-crawl space and third floor and caused smoke and water damage in the first and second floors to the house at 55 Kress Ave., said New Rochelle Fire Chief Louis DiMeglio.

One firefighter was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but no serious injuries were reported.

The fire at the three-family Victorian house was called in about 5:45 a.m., DiMeglio said. Twenty-seven firefighters responded to the fire, which took about 1 1/2 hours to extinguish.

"It was a pretty stubborn fire," DiMeglio said.

Two adults and one child escaped the fire, he said. One of the house's three apartments was unoccupied.

Con Edison shut off gas and electricity to the house, which is now uninhabitable, according to DiMeglio.

The fire chief said the blaze appeared to have started in the electrical system in a third-floor closet. Occupants reported flickering lights, DiMeglio said.

More news

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE