Two Commack High School students have been diagnosed with the bacterial infection known as MRSA, prompting an alert to parents about common preventive practices, the district said on its website.
The infections have been treated, are not communicable and the students have returned to school, the district said in a post dated Oct. 9.
MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphyloccocus aureus, is a staph infection that is resistant to some common antibiotics.
A community-based MRSA infection begins on the skin and can be dangerous and potentially deadly if it enters the blood stream. Public health officials advise good hygiene and avoidance of sharing personal items, such as towels and razors, to prevent spread of the bacteria.
The district's post said it is following preventive practices recommended by the state Department of Health, including disinfection of gym areas and showers.
Also, the district said equipment in training areas for athletes is being sprayed with a disinfectant.
Students are being instructed to clean any parts of equipment they touch both before and after use and to wash their hands at the end of training sessions, the post said.
Locker rooms, weight-training rooms and wrestling mats are being "disinfected with a safe but effective product on a daily basis," the post said.
The district also directed parents to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about MRSA, cdc.gov/mrsa.